Wednesday, March 5, 2008

life in rural town costa rica

Imagine living on a dirt road in a town where there’s one church, school, old-age home, and store. That’s where I am! I live on this road that is sooo steep. I have to walk down it to go to classes each day – we are using a room in the communal area next to the church. But it’s honestly quite a workout just going to class each day.

Maybe it’s the same in middle-of-nowhere US, I don’t know. But in the campo of Costa Rica, it seems like the residents do some pretty interesting things to entertain themselves. I am living with a Costa Rican family in a pretty rural area. Upon arriving back at my house this evening, I walked into the “living room” where my host parents were doing karaoke. They had a microphone and everything – and were really getting in to it. Just the two of them... I couldn’t help but smile. And from what I hear, it seems like a communal activity that all the residents of the town do to pass the time.

Anyway, we have classes every day and are staying very busy. I will try to get back here soon to post another thing but please email, write and call. email me at emilyhaimowitz@gmail.com if you want my number or address.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Everytime I think that you insisted on going to college in an urban setting, I laugh! We can't wait to hear more.

I love you.
Mom

Anonymous said...

word on the street (the street being schmalli) was that you may be able to get your own horse. are the rumors true???? :-)

~em

Anonymous said...

You should be used to steep climbs after the past four years.